Charles P. Rose
At Hogan Marren Babbo & Rose (HMBR), Charlie represents educational institutions (including traditional public and private colleges and universities, community colleges, for-profit institutions of higher education, K-12 school districts and private schools), corporations, private equity firms, foundations, state government agencies and municipalities, and tribal nations. He advises and counsels his clients on matters such as education law and policy; regulatory compliance and reform; corporate transactions; accreditation; labor and employment; collective bargaining; public/private partnerships; civil rights enforcement and policy guidance; and administrative law. Prior to joining HMBR, Charlie was a partner in the education and government affairs practice of a leading Am Law 100 firm.
From May 2009 to July 2011, Charlie served as the General Counsel for the U.S. Department of Education - a position for which he was nominated by President Obama and unanimously confirmed by the U.S. Senate. As General Counsel, Charlie was a senior official in the Obama Administration; advised the U.S. Secretary of Education on all legal, regulatory and policy matters; and was instrumental in the development and implementation of the Department’s signature education reform initiatives, such as Race to the Top.
Charlie is active in community service and has taught law school courses on labor arbitration and collective bargaining at DePaul University College of Law; graduate level education law courses at Northeastern Illinois University; and is a frequent speaker on education law and policy, government and regulatory affairs and labor and employment law.
Professional memberships include:
- Fellow, College of Labor and Employment Lawyers (elected in 2008)
- Member, National Association of College and University Attorneys
- Member, National Council of School Attorneys
- Member, Illinois Council of School Attorneys
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Chicago Bar Association
Board memberships include:
- Member, Board of Trustees, Morris K. Udall and Stewart L. Udall Foundation
- Member, Academic Council, Rasmussen College
- Member, Board of Trustees, Academy for Urban School Leadership
- Member, Board of Directors, Alliance for Excellent Education